Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.76 meters/second, 1496.7 km/hour, 930.0 miles/hour or 808.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.2"||15.50 mi||west||0° 00' 01.0"||0.02 mi||south||15.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 09.7"||929.78 mi||west||0° 01' 01.0"||1.17 mi||south||929.73 mi|
|24 hours||14° 35' 08.7"||942.68 mi||east||0° 16' 26.6"||18.85 mi||north||943.73 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 3:24 PM||614 km||382 miles||332 nm||SW|
|Gambier Islands||Thu 2:24 PM||941 km||585 miles||508 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 6:24 PM||1841 km||1144 miles||994 nm||ESE|
|Papeete||Thu 1:24 PM||2488 km||1546 miles||1343 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Thu 1:24 PM||3488 km||2167 miles||1883 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Fri 1:24 PM||4229 km||2628 miles||2284 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Thu 12:24 PM||4571 km||2840 miles||2468 nm||W|
|Apia *||Fri 1:24 PM||4895 km||3042 miles||2643 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Fri 12:24 PM||5078 km||3155 miles||2742 nm||W|
|Lima||Thu 6:24 PM||5315 km||3302 miles||2870 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.