Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 19, 2012 at 00:14:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 19, 2012 at 00:14:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.72 meters/second, 1496.6 km/hour, 929.9 miles/hour or 808.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.2"||15.50 mi||west||0° 00' 01.0"||0.02 mi||south||15.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 10.6"||929.65 mi||west||0° 00' 53.5"||1.02 mi||south||929.60 mi|
|24 hours||14° 34' 22.1"||941.69 mi||east||0° 19' 21.8"||22.20 mi||north||942.96 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Thu 3:14 PM||411 km||255 miles||222 nm||SE|
|Adamstown||Thu 4:14 PM||944 km||586 miles||510 nm||ESE|
|Papeete||Thu 2:14 PM||1258 km||782 miles||679 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:14 PM||2247 km||1396 miles||1213 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Thu 7:14 PM||3003 km||1866 miles||1621 nm||ESE|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:14 PM||3275 km||2035 miles||1768 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Thu 1:14 PM||3327 km||2067 miles||1796 nm||W|
|Apia *||Fri 2:14 PM||3651 km||2269 miles||1972 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:14 PM||3769 km||2342 miles||2035 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Fri 1:14 PM||3844 km||2388 miles||2075 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.