Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, October 19, 2012 at 00:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 17%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, October 19, 2012 at 00:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.71 meters/second, 1496.6 km/hour, 929.9 miles/hour or 808.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.2"||15.50 mi||west||0° 00' 00.9"||0.02 mi||south||15.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 11.1"||929.62 mi||west||0° 00' 50.7"||0.97 mi||south||929.58 mi|
|24 hours||14° 34' 04.0"||941.34 mi||east||0° 20' 27.9"||23.47 mi||north||942.69 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Thu 2:34 PM||816 km||507 miles||441 nm||WNW|
|Gambier Islands||Thu 3:34 PM||834 km||518 miles||450 nm||ESE|
|Adamstown||Thu 4:34 PM||1367 km||850 miles||738 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:34 PM||1777 km||1104 miles||960 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 1:34 PM||2856 km||1775 miles||1542 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:34 PM||2984 km||1854 miles||1611 nm||NW|
|Apia *||Fri 2:34 PM||3185 km||1979 miles||1720 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:34 PM||3318 km||2061 miles||1791 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Fri 1:34 PM||3376 km||2098 miles||1823 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Thu 7:34 PM||3449 km||2143 miles||1863 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.