Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 05:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 29%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 05:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 417.89 meters/second, 1504.4 km/hour, 934.8 miles/hour or 812.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||15.58 mi||west||0° 00' 03.1"||0.06 mi||north||15.58 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 27.3"||934.51 mi||west||0° 03' 18.0"||3.79 mi||north||934.69 mi|
|24 hours||13° 53' 29.0"||901.05 mi||east||1° 53' 58.2"||130.66 mi||north||915.77 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Noumea||Sat 4:24 PM||483 km||300 miles||261 nm||ESE|
|Port Vila||Sat 4:24 PM||698 km||434 miles||377 nm||ENE|
|Luganville||Sat 4:24 PM||745 km||463 miles||402 nm||NE|
|Brisbane||Sat 3:24 PM||1228 km||763 miles||663 nm||SW|
|Honiara||Sat 4:24 PM||1233 km||766 miles||666 nm||NNW|
|Suva||Sat 5:24 PM||1715 km||1065 miles||926 nm||E|
|Cairns||Sat 3:24 PM||1781 km||1107 miles||962 nm||W|
|Sydney *||Sat 4:24 PM||1854 km||1152 miles||1001 nm||SSW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 3:24 PM||2019 km||1255 miles||1090 nm||NW|
|Canberra *||Sat 4:24 PM||2098 km||1303 miles||1133 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.