Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:14:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 29%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:14:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.04 meters/second, 1504.9 km/hour, 935.1 miles/hour or 812.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 03.2"||0.06 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 30.6"||934.92 mi||west||0° 03' 24.8"||3.92 mi||north||935.10 mi|
|24 hours||13° 51' 58.5"||899.76 mi||east||1° 56' 27.2"||133.51 mi||north||914.99 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Lindeman Island||Sat 4:14 PM||102 km||63 miles||55 nm||W|
|Mackay||Sat 4:14 PM||127 km||79 miles||68 nm||SW|
|Cairns||Sat 4:14 PM||582 km||361 miles||314 nm||NW|
|Brisbane||Sat 4:14 PM||852 km||529 miles||460 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 4:14 PM||1237 km||769 miles||668 nm||NNW|
|Sydney *||Sat 5:14 PM||1508 km||937 miles||814 nm||S|
|Honiara||Sat 5:14 PM||1609 km||1000 miles||869 nm||NE|
|Canberra *||Sat 5:14 PM||1663 km||1033 miles||898 nm||S|
|Alice Springs||Sat 3:44 PM||1707 km||1061 miles||922 nm||WSW|
|Port Vila||Sat 5:14 PM||1948 km||1210 miles||1052 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.