Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 29%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.07 meters/second, 1505.0 km/hour, 935.2 miles/hour or 812.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 03.3"||0.06 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 31.3"||934.92 mi||west||0° 03' 26.0"||3.94 mi||north||935.10 mi|
|24 hours||13° 51' 42.6"||899.46 mi||east||1° 56' 53.1"||134.00 mi||north||914.78 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Lindeman Island||Sat 4:24 PM||124 km||77 miles||67 nm||E|
|Townsville||Sat 4:24 PM||163 km||101 miles||88 nm||NW|
|Mackay||Sat 4:24 PM||167 km||104 miles||90 nm||SE|
|Charters Towers||Sat 4:24 PM||170 km||106 miles||92 nm||W|
|Cairns||Sat 4:24 PM||433 km||269 miles||234 nm||NNW|
|Brisbane||Sat 4:24 PM||953 km||592 miles||515 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 4:24 PM||1201 km||746 miles||649 nm||N|
|Alice Springs||Sat 3:54 PM||1494 km||928 miles||807 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Sat 5:24 PM||1540 km||957 miles||832 nm||SSE|
|Canberra *||Sat 5:24 PM||1666 km||1035 miles||900 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.