Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 30%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 06:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.10 meters/second, 1505.2 km/hour, 935.3 miles/hour or 812.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 03.3"||0.06 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 31.9"||935.06 mi||west||0° 03' 27.5"||3.97 mi||north||935.24 mi|
|24 hours||13° 51' 22.9"||899.22 mi||east||1° 57' 25.3"||134.62 mi||north||914.66 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Townsville||Sat 4:34 PM||205 km||127 miles||111 nm||NE|
|Cairns||Sat 4:34 PM||376 km||234 miles||203 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Sat 4:34 PM||1126 km||700 miles||608 nm||SE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 4:34 PM||1217 km||756 miles||657 nm||N|
|Alice Springs||Sat 4:04 PM||1230 km||764 miles||664 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Sat 5:34 PM||1618 km||1006 miles||874 nm||SSE|
|Canberra *||Sat 5:34 PM||1707 km||1061 miles||922 nm||SSE|
|Adelaide *||Sat 5:04 PM||1749 km||1087 miles||944 nm||SSW|
|Darwin||Sat 4:04 PM||1759 km||1093 miles||950 nm||WNW|
|Melbourne *||Sat 5:34 PM||1944 km||1208 miles||1050 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.