Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 07:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 30%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 07:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 418.25 meters/second, 1505.7 km/hour, 935.6 miles/hour or 813.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.59 mi||west||0° 00' 03.4"||0.07 mi||north||15.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 35.2"||935.33 mi||west||0° 03' 33.9"||4.09 mi||north||935.52 mi|
|24 hours||13° 49' 55.3"||897.85 mi||east||1° 59' 46.2"||137.30 mi||north||913.78 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Tennant Creek||Sat 4:54 PM||100 km||62 miles||54 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 4:54 PM||387 km||240 miles||209 nm||S|
|Darwin||Sat 4:54 PM||904 km||562 miles||488 nm||NNW|
|Eucla||Sat 4:09 PM||1348 km||838 miles||728 nm||SSW|
|Cairns||Sat 5:24 PM||1350 km||839 miles||729 nm||ENE|
|Dili||Sat 4:24 PM||1545 km||960 miles||834 nm||NW|
|Adelaide *||Sat 5:54 PM||1706 km||1060 miles||921 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 5:24 PM||1896 km||1178 miles||1024 nm||NE|
|Jayapura||Sat 4:24 PM||2109 km||1311 miles||1139 nm||NNE|
|Manokwari||Sat 4:24 PM||2143 km||1332 miles||1157 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.