Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 38%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.23 meters/second, 1520.0 km/hour, 944.5 miles/hour or 820.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.7"||15.74 mi||west||0° 00' 05.5"||0.11 mi||north||15.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 49.8"||944.32 mi||west||0° 05' 39.7"||6.49 mi||north||944.60 mi|
|24 hours||13° 17' 34.5"||869.91 mi||east||2° 44' 43.2"||188.81 mi||north||896.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Easter Island *||Sat 7:24 PM||941 km||585 miles||508 nm||SSE|
|Adamstown||Sat 4:24 PM||1993 km||1238 miles||1076 nm||WSW|
|Galapagos Islands||Sat 6:24 PM||3150 km||1957 miles||1701 nm||NE|
|Lima||Sat 7:24 PM||3814 km||2370 miles||2059 nm||E|
|Papeete||Sat 2:24 PM||3976 km||2470 miles||2147 nm||W|
|Quito||Sat 7:24 PM||4196 km||2607 miles||2266 nm||ENE|
|San Salvador||Sat 6:24 PM||4387 km||2726 miles||2369 nm||NE|
|Guatemala||Sat 6:24 PM||4390 km||2728 miles||2370 nm||NNE|
|Santiago *||Sat 9:24 PM||4392 km||2729 miles||2372 nm||ESE|
|San Jose||Sat 6:24 PM||4420 km||2747 miles||2387 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.