Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 06:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 06:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.93 meters/second, 1526.1 km/hour, 948.3 miles/hour or 824.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.3"||15.80 mi||west||0° 00' 06.2"||0.12 mi||north||15.81 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 18.5"||948.07 mi||west||0° 06' 19.2"||7.25 mi||north||948.38 mi|
|24 hours||13° 05' 44.9"||859.94 mi||east||2° 58' 34.0"||204.66 mi||north||890.75 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Noumea||Sun 5:24 PM||657 km||408 miles||355 nm||SE|
|Luganville||Sun 5:24 PM||659 km||409 miles||356 nm||ENE|
|Port Vila||Sun 5:24 PM||701 km||435 miles||378 nm||E|
|Honiara||Sun 5:24 PM||1004 km||624 miles||542 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Sun 4:24 PM||1348 km||838 miles||728 nm||SW|
|Cairns||Sun 4:24 PM||1700 km||1056 miles||918 nm||W|
|Suva *||Sun 7:24 PM||1765 km||1097 miles||953 nm||E|
|Port Moresby||Sun 4:24 PM||1852 km||1151 miles||1000 nm||WNW|
|Sydney *||Sun 5:24 PM||2014 km||1251 miles||1087 nm||SSW|
|Yaren||Sun 6:24 PM||2049 km||1273 miles||1107 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.