Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 07:16:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 41%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 07:16:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.19 meters/second, 1527.1 km/hour, 948.9 miles/hour or 824.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.3"||15.82 mi||west||0° 00' 06.3"||0.12 mi||north||15.82 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 23.0"||948.72 mi||west||0° 06' 24.8"||7.35 mi||north||949.04 mi|
|24 hours||13° 03' 59.7"||858.54 mi||east||3° 00' 31.8"||206.92 mi||north||889.93 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Lindeman Island||Sun 5:16 PM||244 km||151 miles||132 nm||S|
|Cairns||Sun 5:16 PM||367 km||228 miles||198 nm||WNW|
|Port Moresby||Sun 5:16 PM||991 km||616 miles||535 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Sun 5:16 PM||1104 km||686 miles||596 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Sun 6:16 PM||1537 km||955 miles||830 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Sun 4:46 PM||1679 km||1043 miles||907 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Sun 6:16 PM||1745 km||1084 miles||942 nm||S|
|Canberra *||Sun 6:16 PM||1888 km||1173 miles||1019 nm||S|
|Jayapura||Sun 4:16 PM||1956 km||1216 miles||1056 nm||NNW|
|Darwin||Sun 4:46 PM||2045 km||1271 miles||1104 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.