Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 18:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 46%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 18:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 427.83 meters/second, 1540.2 km/hour, 957.0 miles/hour or 831.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.2"||15.95 mi||west||0° 00' 07.5"||0.14 mi||north||15.95 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 20.8"||956.89 mi||west||0° 07' 34.0"||8.67 mi||north||957.25 mi|
|24 hours||12° 41' 03.4"||839.67 mi||east||3° 24' 15.2"||234.08 mi||north||878.47 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jamestown||Sun 6:56 PM||1486 km||924 miles||803 nm||E|
|Recife||Sun 3:56 PM||1923 km||1195 miles||1039 nm||WNW|
|Salvador||Sun 3:56 PM||2076 km||1290 miles||1121 nm||W|
|Fortaleza||Sun 3:56 PM||2533 km||1574 miles||1368 nm||WNW|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Sun 4:56 PM||2556 km||1588 miles||1380 nm||WSW|
|Monrovia||Sun 6:56 PM||2743 km||1705 miles||1481 nm||NNE|
|Freetown||Sun 6:56 PM||2893 km||1798 miles||1562 nm||NNE|
|São Paulo *||Sun 4:56 PM||2915 km||1811 miles||1574 nm||WSW|
|Conakry||Sun 6:56 PM||2991 km||1859 miles||1615 nm||NNE|
|Abidjan||Sun 6:56 PM||2996 km||1861 miles||1618 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.