Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, October 22, 2012 at 02:32:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Monday, October 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, October 22, 2012 at 3:33 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, October 22, 2012 at 02:32:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.32 meters/second, 1549.2 km/hour, 962.6 miles/hour or 836.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.9"||16.04 mi||west||0° 00' 08.2"||0.16 mi||north||16.04 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 58.5"||962.41 mi||west||0° 08' 13.5"||9.43 mi||north||962.78 mi|
|24 hours||12° 26' 35.4"||827.86 mi||east||3° 37' 34.5"||249.30 mi||north||871.16 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Sun 5:32 PM||1001 km||622 miles||540 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Sun 6:32 PM||1019 km||633 miles||550 nm||S|
|Papeete||Sun 4:32 PM||2175 km||1352 miles||1175 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Sun 9:32 PM||2400 km||1491 miles||1296 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 4:32 PM||3273 km||2034 miles||1767 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 4:32 PM||3663 km||2276 miles||1978 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Sun 3:32 PM||4326 km||2688 miles||2336 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 4:32 PM||4576 km||2844 miles||2471 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Mon 3:32 PM||4872 km||3028 miles||2631 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City *||Sun 9:32 PM||5111 km||3176 miles||2760 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.