Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 6%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.46 meters/second, 1495.6 km/hour, 929.4 miles/hour or 807.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 22.1"||15.49 mi||west||0° 00' 01.1"||0.02 mi||north||15.49 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 15.3"||929.06 mi||west||0° 01' 14.2"||1.42 mi||north||929.13 mi|
|24 hours||14° 50' 43.6"||959.72 mi||east||1° 10' 57.8"||81.36 mi||north||966.84 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Thu 1:24 PM||675 km||419 miles||365 nm||WNW|
|Gambier Islands||Thu 2:24 PM||986 km||612 miles||532 nm||ESE|
|Adamstown||Thu 3:24 PM||1516 km||942 miles||819 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 1:24 PM||1621 km||1008 miles||876 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 12:24 PM||2699 km||1677 miles||1457 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Fri 1:24 PM||2893 km||1798 miles||1562 nm||NNW|
|Apia *||Fri 1:24 PM||3029 km||1882 miles||1636 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 12:24 PM||3167 km||1968 miles||1710 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Fri 12:24 PM||3221 km||2001 miles||1739 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Thu 6:24 PM||3601 km||2238 miles||1944 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.