Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, November 16, 2012 at 15:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 11%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, November 16, 2012 at 15:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 417.63 meters/second, 1503.5 km/hour, 934.2 miles/hour or 811.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.57 mi||west||0° 00' 03.5"||0.07 mi||north||15.57 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 09.2"||933.96 mi||west||0° 03' 39.4"||4.19 mi||north||934.15 mi|
|24 hours||14° 22' 34.0"||933.32 mi||east||2° 04' 23.7"||142.60 mi||north||950.07 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jamestown||Fri 3:36 PM||1293 km||803 miles||698 nm||ENE|
|Recife||Fri 12:36 PM||2338 km||1453 miles||1262 nm||WNW|
|Salvador||Fri 12:36 PM||2417 km||1502 miles||1305 nm||WNW|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Fri 1:36 PM||2716 km||1688 miles||1467 nm||WSW|
|Fortaleza||Fri 12:36 PM||2958 km||1838 miles||1597 nm||NW|
|Monrovia||Fri 3:36 PM||3013 km||1872 miles||1627 nm||NNE|
|São Paulo *||Fri 1:36 PM||3071 km||1908 miles||1658 nm||WSW|
|Abidjan||Fri 3:36 PM||3164 km||1966 miles||1709 nm||NNE|
|Freetown||Fri 3:36 PM||3201 km||1989 miles||1728 nm||N|
|Yamoussoukro||Fri 3:36 PM||3256 km||2023 miles||1758 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.