Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 05:10:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 16%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, November 17, 2012 at 05:10:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 420.80 meters/second, 1514.9 km/hour, 941.3 miles/hour or 818.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.1"||15.69 mi||west||0° 00' 05.3"||0.10 mi||north||15.69 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 12.4"||941.06 mi||west||0° 05' 28.4"||6.28 mi||north||941.34 mi|
|24 hours||13° 53' 54.1"||908.08 mi||east||2° 43' 03.9"||186.91 mi||north||934.09 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Townsville||Sat 3:10 PM||116 km||72 miles||63 nm||W|
|Lindeman Island||Sat 3:10 PM||184 km||114 miles||99 nm||SE|
|Charters Towers||Sat 3:10 PM||199 km||124 miles||107 nm||WSW|
|Cairns||Sat 3:10 PM||336 km||209 miles||182 nm||NW|
|Brisbane||Sat 3:10 PM||1057 km||657 miles||571 nm||SSE|
|Port Moresby||Sat 3:10 PM||1079 km||671 miles||583 nm||N|
|Alice Springs||Sat 2:40 PM||1538 km||956 miles||830 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Sat 4:10 PM||1660 km||1031 miles||896 nm||S|
|Honiara||Sat 4:10 PM||1688 km||1049 miles||911 nm||NE|
|Canberra *||Sat 4:10 PM||1788 km||1111 miles||966 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.