Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 14:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 70%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 14:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 442.62 meters/second, 1593.4 km/hour, 990.1 miles/hour or 860.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.50 mi||west||0° 00' 09.7"||0.19 mi||south||16.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 27.1"||989.98 mi||west||0° 09' 50.0"||11.27 mi||south||990.29 mi|
|24 hours||11° 01' 11.8"||750.29 mi||east||4° 09' 31.6"||285.80 mi||south||806.81 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Wed 4:44 AM||951 km||591 miles||513 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Tue 4:44 AM||1265 km||786 miles||683 nm||NNW|
|Baker Island||Tue 2:44 AM||2606 km||1619 miles||1407 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 3:44 AM||2801 km||1740 miles||1512 nm||SW|
|Midway||Tue 3:44 AM||3061 km||1902 miles||1653 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Tue 4:44 AM||3127 km||1943 miles||1688 nm||SSE|
|Apia *||Wed 4:44 AM||3228 km||2006 miles||1743 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Tue 4:44 AM||3512 km||2182 miles||1896 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Wed 2:44 AM||3513 km||2183 miles||1897 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Tue 3:44 AM||3616 km||2247 miles||1953 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.