Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 14:54:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 61%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 14:54:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.19 meters/second, 1609.9 km/hour, 1000.3 miles/hour or 869.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 10.8"||0.21 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 22.4"||1000.30 mi||west||0° 10' 57.2"||12.54 mi||south||1000.54 mi|
|24 hours||11° 08' 05.2"||766.06 mi||east||4° 31' 58.5"||311.49 mi||south||829.16 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Thu 4:54 AM||1252 km||778 miles||676 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Wed 4:54 AM||2070 km||1286 miles||1118 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Wed 4:54 AM||2619 km||1627 miles||1414 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Thu 3:54 AM||3196 km||1986 miles||1726 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 4:54 AM||3327 km||2067 miles||1796 nm||SSW|
|Baker Island||Wed 2:54 AM||3356 km||2085 miles||1812 nm||W|
|Apia *||Thu 4:54 AM||3521 km||2188 miles||1901 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Wed 3:54 AM||3753 km||2332 miles||2026 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Wed 6:54 AM||3884 km||2414 miles||2097 nm||SSE|
|Midway||Wed 3:54 AM||4052 km||2518 miles||2188 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.