Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 15:22:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 60%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 15:22:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.26 meters/second, 1610.1 km/hour, 1000.5 miles/hour or 869.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.4"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 22.2"||1000.38 mi||west||0° 10' 58.1"||12.56 mi||south||1000.62 mi|
|24 hours||11° 08' 20.0"||766.41 mi||east||4° 32' 18.9"||311.85 mi||south||829.58 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Thu 5:22 AM||608 km||378 miles||328 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Wed 5:22 AM||1765 km||1097 miles||953 nm||NNW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 4:22 AM||2583 km||1605 miles||1395 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Wed 3:22 AM||2618 km||1626 miles||1413 nm||WSW|
|Papeete||Wed 5:22 AM||2630 km||1634 miles||1420 nm||S|
|Apia *||Thu 5:22 AM||2965 km||1842 miles||1601 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 5:22 AM||3076 km||1912 miles||1661 nm||SSW|
|Alofi||Wed 4:22 AM||3289 km||2043 miles||1776 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Thu 3:22 AM||3411 km||2120 miles||1842 nm||WSW|
|Midway||Wed 4:22 AM||3518 km||2186 miles||1900 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.