Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 14:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 14:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.22 meters/second, 1617.2 km/hour, 1004.9 miles/hour or 873.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.8"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.6"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 51.1"||1004.77 mi||west||0° 11' 40.1"||13.36 mi||south||1004.90 mi|
|24 hours||11° 26' 34.2"||791.24 mi||east||4° 43' 58.2"||325.19 mi||south||855.41 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Fri 4:44 AM||2677 km||1664 miles||1446 nm||W|
|Papeete||Thu 4:44 AM||2761 km||1715 miles||1491 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Thu 6:44 AM||2958 km||1838 miles||1597 nm||S|
|Honolulu||Thu 4:44 AM||3453 km||2145 miles||1864 nm||NW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 4:44 AM||3826 km||2378 miles||2066 nm||SW|
|Hermosillo||Thu 7:44 AM||3862 km||2400 miles||2085 nm||NE|
|Los Angeles||Thu 6:44 AM||3929 km||2441 miles||2122 nm||NNE|
|Easter Island *||Thu 9:44 AM||4073 km||2531 miles||2199 nm||SE|
|San Francisco||Thu 6:44 AM||4167 km||2589 miles||2250 nm||NNE|
|Phoenix||Thu 7:44 AM||4172 km||2593 miles||2253 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.