Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 48%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 20:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.26 meters/second, 1617.3 km/hour, 1005.0 miles/hour or 873.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.6"||16.75 mi||west||0° 00' 11.7"||0.22 mi||south||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 38.9"||1004.93 mi||west||0° 11' 46.5"||13.48 mi||south||1005.03 mi|
|24 hours||11° 32' 54.6"||798.86 mi||east||4° 45' 06.4"||326.51 mi||south||862.36 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jayapura||Fri 5:28 AM||442 km||274 miles||238 nm||SW|
|Lae||Fri 6:28 AM||880 km||547 miles||475 nm||SSE|
|Manokwari||Fri 5:28 AM||1051 km||653 miles||567 nm||W|
|Port Moresby||Fri 6:28 AM||1164 km||723 miles||628 nm||SSE|
|Melekeok||Fri 5:28 AM||1255 km||780 miles||678 nm||NW|
|Hagåtña||Fri 6:28 AM||1457 km||905 miles||787 nm||N|
|Palikir||Fri 7:28 AM||1790 km||1112 miles||967 nm||ENE|
|Cairns||Fri 6:28 AM||1930 km||1199 miles||1042 nm||S|
|Darwin||Fri 5:58 AM||1986 km||1234 miles||1073 nm||SW|
|Manado||Fri 4:28 AM||2072 km||1288 miles||1119 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.