Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 08:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 43%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 08:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.72 meters/second, 1615.4 km/hour, 1003.8 miles/hour or 872.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.73 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.73 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 07.0"||1003.71 mi||west||0° 11' 54.4"||13.64 mi||south||1003.73 mi|
|24 hours||11° 48' 50.8"||816.74 mi||east||4° 44' 56.6"||326.34 mi||south||877.54 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fernando de Noronha||Fri 6:38 AM||228 km||142 miles||123 nm||SSE|
|Natal||Fri 5:38 AM||467 km||290 miles||252 nm||SSW|
|Fortaleza||Fri 5:38 AM||619 km||385 miles||334 nm||WSW|
|Recife||Fri 5:38 AM||694 km||431 miles||375 nm||SSW|
|Salvador||Fri 5:38 AM||1338 km||832 miles||723 nm||SSW|
|Belém||Fri 5:38 AM||1693 km||1052 miles||914 nm||W|
|Praia||Fri 7:38 AM||2161 km||1343 miles||1167 nm||NNE|
|Brasilia *||Fri 6:38 AM||2210 km||1373 miles||1193 nm||SW|
|Cayenne||Fri 5:38 AM||2254 km||1401 miles||1217 nm||WNW|
|Bissau||Fri 8:38 AM||2489 km||1546 miles||1344 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.