Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 12:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 41%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 12:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.36 meters/second, 1614.1 km/hour, 1003.0 miles/hour or 871.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.72 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 54.9"||1002.82 mi||west||0° 11' 55.1"||13.65 mi||south||1002.83 mi|
|24 hours||11° 54' 44.1"||822.99 mi||east||4° 44' 05.0"||325.34 mi||south||882.54 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Galapagos Islands||Fri 6:36 AM||239 km||149 miles||129 nm||NNE|
|Guayaquil||Fri 7:36 AM||1192 km||740 miles||643 nm||E|
|Quito||Fri 7:36 AM||1376 km||855 miles||743 nm||ENE|
|San Jose||Fri 6:36 AM||1584 km||984 miles||855 nm||NNE|
|Cali||Fri 7:36 AM||1712 km||1064 miles||925 nm||ENE|
|Managua||Fri 6:36 AM||1723 km||1071 miles||930 nm||NNE|
|Panama||Fri 7:36 AM||1793 km||1114 miles||968 nm||NE|
|Lima||Fri 7:36 AM||1811 km||1126 miles||978 nm||SE|
|San Salvador||Fri 6:36 AM||1833 km||1139 miles||990 nm||N|
|Santa Ana||Fri 6:36 AM||1862 km||1157 miles||1005 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.