Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 14:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 14:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.15 meters/second, 1613.3 km/hour, 1002.5 miles/hour or 871.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.71 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 48.6"||1002.34 mi||west||0° 11' 55.2"||13.65 mi||south||1002.33 mi|
|24 hours||11° 57' 47.9"||826.22 mi||east||4° 43' 29.8"||324.67 mi||south||885.08 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Fri 6:34 AM||2689 km||1671 miles||1452 nm||SSW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 9:34 AM||2842 km||1766 miles||1534 nm||SSE|
|Galapagos Islands||Fri 8:34 AM||3296 km||2048 miles||1780 nm||E|
|Mexico City||Fri 8:34 AM||3326 km||2067 miles||1796 nm||NE|
|Hermosillo||Fri 7:34 AM||3676 km||2284 miles||1985 nm||NNE|
|Papeete||Fri 4:34 AM||3680 km||2286 miles||1987 nm||WSW|
|Guatemala||Fri 8:34 AM||3720 km||2312 miles||2009 nm||ENE|
|San Salvador||Fri 8:34 AM||3799 km||2361 miles||2051 nm||ENE|
|Tegucigalpa||Fri 8:34 AM||4008 km||2490 miles||2164 nm||ENE|
|Managua||Fri 8:34 AM||4015 km||2495 miles||2168 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.