Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 15:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 15:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.08 meters/second, 1613.1 km/hour, 1002.3 miles/hour or 871.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.70 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.71 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 46.7"||1002.19 mi||west||0° 11' 55.1"||13.65 mi||south||1002.18 mi|
|24 hours||11° 58' 41.9"||827.16 mi||east||4° 43' 18.4"||324.46 mi||south||885.82 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Fri 7:08 AM||2424 km||1506 miles||1309 nm||S|
|Papeete||Fri 5:08 AM||2889 km||1795 miles||1560 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 10:08 AM||3256 km||2023 miles||1758 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Sat 5:08 AM||3383 km||2102 miles||1827 nm||W|
|Mexico City||Fri 9:08 AM||3984 km||2476 miles||2151 nm||NE|
|Hermosillo||Fri 8:08 AM||3989 km||2479 miles||2154 nm||NNE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 5:08 AM||4028 km||2503 miles||2175 nm||WSW|
|Galapagos Islands||Fri 9:08 AM||4210 km||2616 miles||2273 nm||E|
|Los Angeles||Fri 7:08 AM||4245 km||2638 miles||2292 nm||NNE|
|Honolulu||Fri 5:08 AM||4298 km||2670 miles||2320 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.