Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 15:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 39%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 15:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 448.01 meters/second, 1612.8 km/hour, 1002.2 miles/hour or 870.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.70 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.70 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 44.7"||1002.11 mi||west||0° 11' 55.1"||13.65 mi||south||1002.09 mi|
|24 hours||11° 59' 38.0"||828.20 mi||east||4° 43' 06.1"||324.25 mi||south||886.64 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Fri 6:12 AM||735 km||457 miles||397 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Fri 5:42 AM||2161 km||1343 miles||1167 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 5:42 AM||2460 km||1529 miles||1328 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Fri 7:42 AM||2472 km||1536 miles||1335 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 5:42 AM||3252 km||2021 miles||1756 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Fri 5:42 AM||3639 km||2261 miles||1965 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 10:42 AM||3849 km||2392 miles||2079 nm||SE|
|Fakaofo||Sat 4:42 AM||3965 km||2464 miles||2141 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Fri 4:42 AM||4087 km||2539 miles||2207 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sat 5:42 AM||4109 km||2553 miles||2219 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.