Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 20:08:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 37%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 20:08:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.42 meters/second, 1610.7 km/hour, 1000.8 miles/hour or 869.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.68 mi||west||0° 00' 11.8"||0.23 mi||south||16.68 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 29.1"||1000.77 mi||west||0° 11' 53.9"||13.63 mi||south||1000.73 mi|
|24 hours||12° 06' 57.4"||835.76 mi||east||4° 41' 14.3"||322.12 mi||south||892.42 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Arawa||Sat 6:08 AM||516 km||320 miles||278 nm||WSW|
|Gizo||Sat 7:08 AM||532 km||331 miles||287 nm||SW|
|Honiara||Sat 7:08 AM||566 km||352 miles||306 nm||S|
|Yaren||Sat 8:08 AM||894 km||556 miles||483 nm||ENE|
|Palikir||Sat 7:08 AM||1255 km||780 miles||678 nm||N|
|Port Moresby||Sat 6:08 AM||1506 km||936 miles||813 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Sat 8:08 AM||1599 km||993 miles||863 nm||ENE|
|Port Vila||Sat 7:08 AM||1750 km||1088 miles||945 nm||SSE|
|Majuro||Sat 8:08 AM||1791 km||1113 miles||967 nm||NE|
|Cairns||Sat 6:08 AM||2072 km||1287 miles||1119 nm||SW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.