Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 17:26:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 18%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 17:26:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 435.66 meters/second, 1568.4 km/hour, 974.5 miles/hour or 846.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.0"||16.24 mi||west||0° 00' 10.2"||0.20 mi||south||16.24 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 54.3"||974.30 mi||west||0° 10' 18.3"||11.81 mi||south||974.03 mi|
|24 hours||13° 40' 18.6"||921.94 mi||east||3° 45' 13.2"||258.08 mi||south||950.08 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sun 7:56 AM||581 km||361 miles||314 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Sun 9:26 AM||1481 km||920 miles||800 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sun 7:26 AM||1554 km||966 miles||839 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Sun 7:26 AM||2699 km||1677 miles||1457 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 7:26 AM||2874 km||1786 miles||1552 nm||WNW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 12:26 PM||3184 km||1979 miles||1719 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Sun 6:26 AM||3697 km||2297 miles||1996 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 6:26 AM||3875 km||2408 miles||2092 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 7:26 AM||3882 km||2412 miles||2096 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Mon 6:26 AM||4270 km||2653 miles||2306 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.