Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 17:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 10, 2012 at 17:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 427.06 meters/second, 1537.4 km/hour, 955.3 miles/hour or 830.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.6"||15.92 mi||west||0° 00' 08.2"||0.16 mi||south||15.92 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 37.9"||955.07 mi||west||0° 08' 12.1"||9.40 mi||south||954.78 mi|
|24 hours||14° 32' 22.1"||963.61 mi||east||2° 44' 06.8"||188.12 mi||south||974.67 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Mon 9:36 AM||1076 km||668 miles||581 nm||SSW|
|Easter Island *||Mon 12:36 PM||1978 km||1229 miles||1068 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Mon 7:36 AM||2624 km||1630 miles||1417 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Mon 7:36 AM||3699 km||2299 miles||1997 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Tue 7:36 AM||4109 km||2553 miles||2219 nm||WNW|
|Galapagos Islands||Mon 11:36 AM||4245 km||2638 miles||2292 nm||ENE|
|Alofi||Mon 6:36 AM||4765 km||2961 miles||2573 nm||W|
|Mexico City||Mon 11:36 AM||4887 km||3037 miles||2639 nm||NE|
|Apia *||Tue 7:36 AM||5032 km||3127 miles||2717 nm||W|
|Guatemala||Mon 11:36 AM||5122 km||3183 miles||2766 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.