Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 18:46:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 10, 2012 at 18:46:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 426.66 meters/second, 1536.0 km/hour, 954.4 miles/hour or 829.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.91 mi||west||0° 00' 08.0"||0.16 mi||south||15.91 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 31.5"||954.11 mi||west||0° 08' 04.7"||9.26 mi||south||953.81 mi|
|24 hours||14° 34' 35.7"||965.21 mi||east||2° 40' 40.6"||184.18 mi||south||975.57 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Mon 8:46 AM||866 km||538 miles||468 nm||W|
|Taiohae||Mon 9:16 AM||890 km||553 miles||481 nm||NNE|
|Gambier Islands||Mon 9:46 AM||976 km||606 miles||527 nm||SE|
|Adamstown||Mon 10:46 AM||1492 km||927 miles||806 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 8:46 AM||1988 km||1235 miles||1074 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Tue 8:46 AM||2704 km||1680 miles||1460 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Mon 7:46 AM||3022 km||1878 miles||1632 nm||W|
|Apia *||Tue 8:46 AM||3269 km||2031 miles||1765 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Tue 7:46 AM||3328 km||2068 miles||1797 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Mon 1:46 PM||3496 km||2172 miles||1887 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.