Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 23:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 8%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 10, 2012 at 23:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 425.00 meters/second, 1530.0 km/hour, 950.7 miles/hour or 826.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.1"||15.85 mi||west||0° 00' 07.5"||0.15 mi||south||15.85 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 05.6"||950.44 mi||west||0° 07' 32.0"||8.64 mi||south||950.15 mi|
|24 hours||14° 43' 36.2"||971.89 mi||east||2° 25' 39.9"||166.99 mi||south||979.45 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Cairns||Tue 9:36 AM||311 km||193 miles||168 nm||W|
|Port Moresby||Tue 9:36 AM||899 km||559 miles||485 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Tue 9:36 AM||1197 km||744 miles||646 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Tue 10:36 AM||1511 km||939 miles||816 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Tue 9:06 AM||1688 km||1049 miles||911 nm||WSW|
|Sydney *||Tue 10:36 AM||1836 km||1141 miles||991 nm||S|
|Jayapura||Tue 8:36 AM||1864 km||1158 miles||1006 nm||NNW|
|Canberra *||Tue 10:36 AM||1976 km||1228 miles||1067 nm||S|
|Darwin||Tue 9:06 AM||1992 km||1238 miles||1076 nm||WNW|
|Port Vila||Tue 10:36 AM||2087 km||1297 miles||1127 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.