Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 00:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 8%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 00:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.66 meters/second, 1528.8 km/hour, 949.9 miles/hour or 825.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.9"||15.83 mi||west||0° 00' 07.5"||0.14 mi||south||15.83 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 00.3"||949.62 mi||west||0° 07' 25.0"||8.50 mi||south||949.34 mi|
|24 hours||14° 45' 22.5"||973.10 mi||east||2° 22' 28.4"||163.32 mi||south||980.12 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Tennant Creek||Tue 10:06 AM||229 km||143 miles||124 nm||S|
|Darwin||Tue 10:06 AM||674 km||419 miles||364 nm||NNW|
|Alice Springs||Tue 10:06 AM||679 km||422 miles||367 nm||S|
|Cairns||Tue 10:36 AM||1228 km||763 miles||663 nm||E|
|Dili||Tue 9:36 AM||1370 km||851 miles||740 nm||NW|
|Eucla||Tue 9:21 AM||1653 km||1027 miles||892 nm||SSW|
|Port Moresby||Tue 10:36 AM||1663 km||1034 miles||898 nm||ENE|
|Jayapura||Tue 9:36 AM||1807 km||1123 miles||976 nm||NNE|
|Manokwari||Tue 9:36 AM||1848 km||1149 miles||998 nm||N|
|Adelaide *||Tue 11:06 AM||1971 km||1225 miles||1064 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.