Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 18:16:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 18:16:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 419.39 meters/second, 1509.8 km/hour, 938.1 miles/hour or 815.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 22.7"||15.64 mi||west||0° 00' 05.1"||0.10 mi||south||15.64 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 38.8"||937.82 mi||west||0° 05' 07.2"||5.87 mi||south||937.59 mi|
|24 hours||15° 10' 31.0"||989.83 mi||east||1° 21' 32.9"||93.49 mi||south||990.01 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Tue 10:16 AM||1239 km||770 miles||669 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Tue 1:16 PM||1355 km||842 miles||731 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Tue 8:16 AM||3158 km||1962 miles||1705 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Tue 12:16 PM||3869 km||2404 miles||2089 nm||ENE|
|Rarotonga||Tue 8:16 AM||4179 km||2597 miles||2257 nm||W|
|Lima||Tue 1:16 PM||4632 km||2878 miles||2501 nm||E|
|Kiritimati||Wed 8:16 AM||4742 km||2946 miles||2560 nm||WNW|
|Mexico City||Tue 12:16 PM||4850 km||3014 miles||2619 nm||NNE|
|Guatemala||Tue 12:16 PM||4939 km||3069 miles||2667 nm||NE|
|San Salvador||Tue 12:16 PM||4961 km||3083 miles||2679 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.