Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 12:36:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it hard to see from earth.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 1%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 12:36:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 415.84 meters/second, 1497.0 km/hour, 930.2 miles/hour or 808.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 21.8"||15.50 mi||west||0° 00' 02.3"||0.05 mi||south||15.50 mi|
|1 hour||14° 21' 45.4"||929.89 mi||west||0° 02' 20.9"||2.69 mi||south||929.78 mi|
|24 hours||15° 21' 11.5"||993.98 mi||east||0° 11' 58.5"||13.73 mi||south||993.42 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Salvador||Wed 9:36 AM||1816 km||1128 miles||980 nm||WNW|
|Recife||Wed 9:36 AM||1856 km||1154 miles||1002 nm||NW|
|Jamestown||Wed 12:36 PM||1939 km||1205 miles||1047 nm||ENE|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Wed 10:36 AM||2061 km||1280 miles||1113 nm||W|
|São Paulo *||Wed 10:36 AM||2417 km||1502 miles||1305 nm||WSW|
|Fortaleza||Wed 9:36 AM||2488 km||1546 miles||1344 nm||NW|
|Brasilia *||Wed 10:36 AM||2641 km||1641 miles||1426 nm||W|
|Monrovia||Wed 12:36 PM||3283 km||2040 miles||1773 nm||NNE|
|Freetown||Wed 12:36 PM||3407 km||2117 miles||1840 nm||NNE|
|Belém||Wed 9:36 AM||3454 km||2146 miles||1865 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.