Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 20:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 0%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 20:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 416.15 meters/second, 1498.1 km/hour, 930.9 miles/hour or 808.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 21.8"||15.52 mi||west||0° 00' 02.7"||0.05 mi||north||15.52 mi|
|1 hour||14° 21' 58.1"||930.68 mi||west||0° 02' 47.7"||3.21 mi||north||930.83 mi|
|24 hours||14° 56' 57.6"||968.43 mi||east||1° 47' 54.1"||123.71 mi||north||981.77 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 12:42 PM||771 km||479 miles||416 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 3:42 PM||1695 km||1053 miles||915 nm||ESE|
|Papeete||Thu 10:42 AM||2668 km||1658 miles||1441 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Thu 10:42 AM||3675 km||2283 miles||1984 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Thu 2:42 PM||4363 km||2711 miles||2356 nm||ENE|
|Kiritimati||Fri 10:42 AM||4365 km||2712 miles||2357 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Thu 9:42 AM||4758 km||2956 miles||2569 nm||W|
|Apia *||Fri 10:42 AM||5078 km||3155 miles||2742 nm||W|
|Lima||Thu 3:42 PM||5130 km||3187 miles||2770 nm||E|
|Mexico City||Thu 2:42 PM||5208 km||3236 miles||2812 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.