Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 14, 2012 at 22:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 14, 2012 at 22:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.04 meters/second, 1519.4 km/hour, 944.1 miles/hour or 820.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.6"||15.73 mi||west||0° 00' 06.3"||0.12 mi||north||15.73 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 38.5"||943.85 mi||west||0° 06' 26.1"||7.38 mi||north||944.17 mi|
|24 hours||14° 07' 32.7"||926.27 mi||east||3° 05' 56.6"||213.11 mi||north||958.19 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Fri 1:20 PM||557 km||346 miles||301 nm||SSW|
|Adamstown||Fri 2:20 PM||767 km||476 miles||414 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Fri 12:20 PM||1791 km||1113 miles||967 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Fri 5:20 PM||2570 km||1597 miles||1388 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 12:20 PM||2849 km||1770 miles||1538 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sat 12:20 PM||3521 km||2188 miles||1901 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Fri 11:20 AM||3918 km||2434 miles||2115 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sat 12:20 PM||4204 km||2612 miles||2270 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sat 11:20 AM||4278 km||2658 miles||2310 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Sat 11:20 AM||4450 km||2765 miles||2403 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.