Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 14, 2012 at 22:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 14, 2012 at 22:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.05 meters/second, 1519.4 km/hour, 944.1 miles/hour or 820.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.6"||15.73 mi||west||0° 00' 06.3"||0.12 mi||north||15.74 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 38.6"||943.86 mi||west||0° 06' 26.2"||7.38 mi||north||944.19 mi|
|24 hours||14° 07' 30.2"||926.23 mi||east||3° 05' 59.5"||213.17 mi||north||958.17 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Fri 1:20 PM||546 km||339 miles||295 nm||SSW|
|Adamstown||Fri 2:20 PM||777 km||483 miles||419 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Fri 12:20 PM||1762 km||1095 miles||952 nm||W|
|Easter Island *||Fri 5:20 PM||2595 km||1613 miles||1401 nm||ESE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 12:20 PM||2821 km||1753 miles||1523 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sat 12:20 PM||3499 km||2174 miles||1889 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Fri 11:20 AM||3890 km||2417 miles||2100 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sat 12:20 PM||4176 km||2595 miles||2255 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sat 11:20 AM||4250 km||2641 miles||2295 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Sat 11:20 AM||4422 km||2748 miles||2388 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.