Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, December 14, 2012 at 23:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, December 14, 2012 at 23:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 422.43 meters/second, 1520.7 km/hour, 944.9 miles/hour or 821.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.6"||15.75 mi||west||0° 00' 06.4"||0.12 mi||north||15.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 23' 44.9"||944.77 mi||west||0° 06' 35.5"||7.56 mi||north||945.10 mi|
|24 hours||14° 04' 44.7"||924.00 mi||east||3° 09' 09.9"||216.82 mi||north||956.85 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Fri 1:34 PM||157 km||97 miles||85 nm||NE|
|Vaitape (Bora Bora)||Fri 1:34 PM||241 km||150 miles||130 nm||NNW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 1:34 PM||999 km||621 miles||540 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Fri 12:34 PM||2026 km||1259 miles||1094 nm||W|
|Adamstown||Fri 3:34 PM||2250 km||1398 miles||1215 nm||ESE|
|Apia *||Sat 1:34 PM||2309 km||1435 miles||1247 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Sat 1:34 PM||2361 km||1467 miles||1275 nm||NNW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 12:34 PM||2432 km||1511 miles||1313 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sat 12:34 PM||2582 km||1604 miles||1394 nm||W|
|Suva *||Sat 12:34 PM||3260 km||2026 miles||1760 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.