Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 04:10:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 5%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 04:10:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.88 meters/second, 1526.0 km/hour, 948.2 miles/hour or 824.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.1"||15.80 mi||west||0° 00' 07.1"||0.14 mi||north||15.80 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 09.0"||947.98 mi||west||0° 07' 08.9"||8.19 mi||north||948.33 mi|
|24 hours||13° 54' 17.7"||915.24 mi||east||3° 20' 30.0"||229.78 mi||north||951.47 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Normanton||Sat 2:10 PM||213 km||132 miles||115 nm||W|
|Cairns||Sat 2:10 PM||308 km||192 miles||167 nm||ENE|
|Tennant Creek||Sat 1:40 PM||955 km||593 miles||516 nm||WSW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 2:10 PM||1037 km||644 miles||560 nm||NNE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 1:40 PM||1151 km||715 miles||622 nm||SW|
|Darwin||Sat 1:40 PM||1445 km||898 miles||780 nm||WNW|
|Brisbane||Sat 2:10 PM||1470 km||914 miles||794 nm||SE|
|Jayapura||Sat 1:10 PM||1721 km||1069 miles||929 nm||N|
|Adelaide *||Sat 2:40 PM||1937 km||1203 miles||1046 nm||SSW|
|Sydney *||Sat 3:10 PM||1944 km||1208 miles||1050 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.