Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 23:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.56 meters/second, 1550.0 km/hour, 963.1 miles/hour or 836.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.9"||16.05 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||north||16.05 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 58.9"||963.02 mi||west||0° 09' 06.5"||10.44 mi||north||963.42 mi|
|24 hours||13° 09' 32.6"||878.04 mi||east||3° 59' 06.6"||273.98 mi||north||927.05 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Sat 2:24 PM||869 km||540 miles||469 nm||S|
|Taiohae||Sat 1:54 PM||904 km||562 miles||488 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Sat 3:24 PM||1162 km||722 miles||627 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sat 1:24 PM||1657 km||1030 miles||895 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Sat 1:24 PM||2777 km||1726 miles||1500 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 6:24 PM||2886 km||1793 miles||1558 nm||ESE|
|Kiritimati||Sun 1:24 PM||3176 km||1974 miles||1715 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Sat 12:24 PM||3814 km||2370 miles||2059 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 1:24 PM||4045 km||2514 miles||2184 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 12:24 PM||4074 km||2531 miles||2200 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.