Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.92 meters/second, 1551.3 km/hour, 963.9 miles/hour or 837.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.9"||16.06 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.17 mi||north||16.07 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 04.8"||963.75 mi||west||0° 09' 11.8"||10.54 mi||north||964.16 mi|
|24 hours||13° 07' 14.3"||876.05 mi||east||4° 00' 44.1"||275.82 mi||north||925.64 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Sat 2:24 PM||280 km||174 miles||151 nm||SSW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 2:24 PM||1355 km||842 miles||731 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 2:24 PM||2112 km||1312 miles||1140 nm||NNW|
|Adamstown||Sat 4:24 PM||2224 km||1382 miles||1201 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Sat 1:24 PM||2302 km||1430 miles||1243 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 2:24 PM||2495 km||1551 miles||1347 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 1:24 PM||2537 km||1577 miles||1370 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sun 1:24 PM||2882 km||1791 miles||1556 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Sat 12:24 PM||3501 km||2175 miles||1890 nm||WNW|
|Suva *||Sun 1:24 PM||3523 km||2189 miles||1902 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.