Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 00:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 00:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.98 meters/second, 1551.5 km/hour, 964.1 miles/hour or 837.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.9"||16.07 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.18 mi||north||16.07 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 05.9"||963.95 mi||west||0° 09' 12.6"||10.56 mi||north||964.36 mi|
|24 hours||13° 06' 51.3"||875.79 mi||east||4° 01' 00.2"||276.14 mi||north||925.48 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Vaitape (Bora Bora)||Sat 2:34 PM||169 km||105 miles||91 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Sat 2:34 PM||309 km||192 miles||167 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Sat 2:34 PM||1142 km||710 miles||617 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 2:34 PM||2003 km||1245 miles||1082 nm||NNW|
|Alofi||Sat 1:34 PM||2052 km||1275 miles||1108 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 2:34 PM||2237 km||1390 miles||1208 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 1:34 PM||2285 km||1420 miles||1234 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Sat 4:34 PM||2447 km||1521 miles||1321 nm||ESE|
|Nukualofa||Sun 1:34 PM||2637 km||1638 miles||1424 nm||WSW|
|Suva *||Sun 1:34 PM||3269 km||2031 miles||1765 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.