Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 01:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 01:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.17 meters/second, 1552.2 km/hour, 964.5 miles/hour or 838.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.1"||16.08 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.18 mi||north||16.08 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 08.9"||964.38 mi||west||0° 09' 15.3"||10.61 mi||north||964.79 mi|
|24 hours||13° 05' 37.6"||874.76 mi||east||4° 01' 51.0"||277.11 mi||north||924.76 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Sat 3:06 PM||692 km||430 miles||374 nm||S|
|Papeete||Sat 3:06 PM||1019 km||633 miles||550 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Sat 2:06 PM||1267 km||788 miles||684 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 3:06 PM||1410 km||876 miles||761 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 2:06 PM||1496 km||929 miles||808 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sun 2:06 PM||1865 km||1159 miles||1007 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 3:06 PM||1878 km||1167 miles||1014 nm||N|
|Suva *||Sun 2:06 PM||2457 km||1527 miles||1327 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Sun 1:06 PM||2505 km||1557 miles||1353 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Sat 1:06 PM||2578 km||1602 miles||1392 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.