Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 17:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 16%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 17:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 436.77 meters/second, 1572.4 km/hour, 977.0 miles/hour or 849.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.7"||16.28 mi||west||0° 00' 10.3"||0.20 mi||north||16.29 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 42.2"||976.96 mi||west||0° 10' 23.6"||11.91 mi||north||977.36 mi|
|24 hours||12° 30' 16.9"||844.78 mi||east||4° 22' 32.0"||300.75 mi||north||902.62 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Recife||Sun 2:06 PM||724 km||450 miles||391 nm||NW|
|Salvador||Sun 2:06 PM||931 km||579 miles||503 nm||W|
|Fernando de Noronha||Sun 3:06 PM||983 km||611 miles||531 nm||NNW|
|Fortaleza||Sun 2:06 PM||1353 km||841 miles||731 nm||NW|
|Rio de Janeiro *||Sun 3:06 PM||1825 km||1134 miles||985 nm||SW|
|Brasilia *||Sun 3:06 PM||1974 km||1226 miles||1066 nm||WSW|
|São Paulo *||Sun 3:06 PM||2153 km||1338 miles||1162 nm||SW|
|Belém||Sun 2:06 PM||2381 km||1479 miles||1286 nm||WNW|
|Jamestown||Sun 5:06 PM||2640 km||1640 miles||1425 nm||ESE|
|Freetown||Sun 5:06 PM||2960 km||1839 miles||1598 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.