Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 18%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.06 meters/second, 1580.6 km/hour, 982.2 miles/hour or 853.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.2"||16.37 mi||west||0° 00' 10.6"||0.21 mi||north||16.37 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 21.0"||982.10 mi||west||0° 10' 46.1"||12.34 mi||north||982.48 mi|
|24 hours||12° 15' 59.7"||832.43 mi||east||4° 28' 51.2"||307.97 mi||north||892.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sun 2:36 PM||943 km||586 miles||509 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Sun 4:06 PM||1539 km||956 miles||831 nm||S|
|Papeete||Sun 2:06 PM||2101 km||1305 miles||1134 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 7:06 PM||2885 km||1793 miles||1558 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Mon 2:06 PM||3235 km||2010 miles||1747 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Sun 2:06 PM||3245 km||2016 miles||1752 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Sun 1:06 PM||4243 km||2636 miles||2291 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 1:06 PM||4388 km||2727 miles||2369 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 2:06 PM||4415 km||2744 miles||2384 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Sun 2:06 PM||4630 km||2877 miles||2500 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.