Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 18%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.06 meters/second, 1580.6 km/hour, 982.1 miles/hour or 853.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.2"||16.37 mi||west||0° 00' 10.6"||0.21 mi||north||16.37 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 21.0"||982.01 mi||west||0° 10' 46.1"||12.33 mi||north||982.39 mi|
|24 hours||12° 16' 02.1"||832.40 mi||east||4° 28' 50.4"||307.93 mi||north||892.76 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sun 2:36 PM||972 km||604 miles||525 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Sun 4:06 PM||1537 km||955 miles||830 nm||S|
|Papeete||Sun 2:06 PM||2128 km||1322 miles||1149 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 7:06 PM||2863 km||1779 miles||1546 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Mon 2:06 PM||3262 km||2027 miles||1761 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Sun 2:06 PM||3272 km||2033 miles||1767 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Sun 1:06 PM||4271 km||2654 miles||2306 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Mon 2:06 PM||4445 km||2762 miles||2400 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Sun 2:06 PM||4649 km||2889 miles||2510 nm||NW|
|Nukualofa||Mon 1:06 PM||4845 km||3010 miles||2616 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.