Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 18%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 17, 2012 at 00:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.16 meters/second, 1581.0 km/hour, 982.4 miles/hour or 853.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.2"||16.37 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||north||16.37 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 22.8"||982.31 mi||west||0° 10' 47.0"||12.35 mi||north||982.69 mi|
|24 hours||12° 15' 24.3"||831.91 mi||east||4° 29' 05.4"||308.24 mi||north||892.37 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sun 2:54 PM||496 km||308 miles||268 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Sun 4:24 PM||1644 km||1021 miles||887 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sun 2:24 PM||1670 km||1038 miles||902 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 2:24 PM||2810 km||1746 miles||1517 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Sun 2:24 PM||2817 km||1751 miles||1521 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 7:24 PM||3260 km||2026 miles||1760 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Sun 1:24 PM||3791 km||2356 miles||2047 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 1:24 PM||3914 km||2432 miles||2113 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 2:24 PM||3947 km||2453 miles||2131 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Sun 2:24 PM||4342 km||2698 miles||2344 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.