Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 01:16:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 19%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 17, 2012 at 01:16:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.42 meters/second, 1581.9 km/hour, 983.0 miles/hour or 854.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.4"||16.38 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||north||16.38 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 27.3"||982.84 mi||west||0° 10' 49.3"||12.40 mi||north||983.21 mi|
|24 hours||12° 13' 44.2"||830.40 mi||east||4° 29' 44.6"||308.96 mi||north||891.12 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Sun 3:16 PM||748 km||465 miles||404 nm||SSW|
|Taiohae||Sun 3:46 PM||937 km||582 miles||506 nm||ENE|
|Rarotonga||Sun 3:16 PM||1708 km||1061 miles||922 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 3:16 PM||1771 km||1101 miles||956 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Sun 5:16 PM||2432 km||1511 miles||1313 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Sun 2:16 PM||2536 km||1576 miles||1369 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Mon 2:16 PM||2573 km||1599 miles||1389 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 3:16 PM||2624 km||1630 miles||1417 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Mon 2:16 PM||3132 km||1946 miles||1691 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Sun 1:16 PM||3405 km||2116 miles||1839 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.