Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 02:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 19%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, December 17, 2012 at 02:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.69 meters/second, 1582.9 km/hour, 983.6 miles/hour or 854.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 28.4"||16.39 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||north||16.39 mi|
|1 hour||14° 28' 31.9"||983.50 mi||west||0° 10' 51.8"||12.44 mi||north||983.88 mi|
|24 hours||12° 12' 04.5"||829.01 mi||east||4° 30' 22.4"||309.71 mi||north||889.99 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Sun 4:06 PM||1150 km||715 miles||621 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Mon 3:06 PM||1227 km||763 miles||663 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 4:06 PM||1308 km||813 miles||706 nm||WSW|
|Papeete||Sun 4:06 PM||1359 km||845 miles||734 nm||SE|
|Alofi||Sun 3:06 PM||1389 km||863 miles||750 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 4:06 PM||1439 km||894 miles||777 nm||NNE|
|Nukualofa||Mon 3:06 PM||1972 km||1225 miles||1065 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Sun 2:06 PM||2182 km||1356 miles||1178 nm||WNW|
|Funafuti||Mon 2:06 PM||2280 km||1417 miles||1231 nm||W|
|Suva *||Mon 3:06 PM||2445 km||1520 miles||1320 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.