Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 02:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 29%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 02:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.00 meters/second, 1605.6 km/hour, 997.7 miles/hour or 867.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||north||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 29.7"||997.59 mi||west||0° 11' 35.0"||13.27 mi||north||997.86 mi|
|24 hours||11° 30' 50.8"||791.72 mi||east||4° 39' 47.5"||320.42 mi||north||856.55 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Tue 4:34 PM||954 km||593 miles||515 nm||NNW|
|Papeete||Mon 4:34 PM||1356 km||842 miles||732 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 4:34 PM||1755 km||1090 miles||948 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Tue 3:34 PM||1884 km||1171 miles||1017 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Tue 4:34 PM||2076 km||1290 miles||1121 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Mon 3:34 PM||2195 km||1364 miles||1185 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Mon 2:34 PM||2551 km||1585 miles||1377 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Tue 3:34 PM||2779 km||1727 miles||1500 nm||SW|
|Funafuti||Tue 2:34 PM||2919 km||1814 miles||1576 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Mon 4:34 PM||3072 km||1909 miles||1659 nm||N|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.