Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 07:06:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 30%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 07:06:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.85 meters/second, 1608.7 km/hour, 999.6 miles/hour or 868.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.66 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||north||16.66 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 48.2"||999.50 mi||west||0° 11' 38.3"||13.33 mi||north||999.75 mi|
|24 hours||11° 24' 38.3"||785.83 mi||east||4° 39' 51.9"||320.49 mi||north||850.65 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Jayapura||Tue 4:06 PM||340 km||211 miles||183 nm||NNE|
|Mount Hagen||Tue 5:06 PM||525 km||326 miles||284 nm||E|
|Manokwari||Tue 4:06 PM||784 km||487 miles||424 nm||NW|
|Lae||Tue 5:06 PM||841 km||522 miles||454 nm||E|
|Port Moresby||Tue 5:06 PM||960 km||596 miles||518 nm||ESE|
|Darwin||Tue 4:36 PM||1235 km||767 miles||667 nm||SW|
|Cairns||Tue 5:06 PM||1449 km||900 miles||782 nm||SSE|
|Melekeok||Tue 4:06 PM||1523 km||947 miles||823 nm||NNW|
|Dili||Tue 4:06 PM||1580 km||982 miles||853 nm||WSW|
|Manado||Tue 3:06 PM||1800 km||1118 miles||972 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.