Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 03:02:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 49%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 03:02:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 449.18 meters/second, 1617.0 km/hour, 1004.8 miles/hour or 873.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.74 mi||west||0° 00' 11.1"||0.21 mi||north||16.75 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 46.0"||1004.71 mi||west||0° 11' 11.4"||12.81 mi||north||1004.70 mi|
|24 hours||10° 48' 49.5"||746.91 mi||east||4° 19' 36.1"||297.30 mi||north||801.84 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Thu 5:02 PM||2082 km||1294 miles||1124 nm||W|
|Papeete||Wed 5:02 PM||2577 km||1601 miles||1391 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Wed 5:02 PM||2897 km||1800 miles||1564 nm||NW|
|Adamstown||Wed 7:02 PM||3249 km||2019 miles||1754 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Wed 5:02 PM||3542 km||2201 miles||1912 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Thu 4:02 PM||3868 km||2403 miles||2089 nm||WSW|
|Los Angeles||Wed 7:02 PM||4028 km||2503 miles||2175 nm||NNE|
|Hermosillo||Wed 8:02 PM||4103 km||2550 miles||2216 nm||NE|
|Apia *||Thu 5:02 PM||4108 km||2552 miles||2218 nm||WSW|
|San Francisco||Wed 7:02 PM||4181 km||2598 miles||2258 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.